Guwahati: Prime Minister Narendra Modi is going to inaugurate the Bogibeel Bridge in Assam tomorrow on the eve of 94th Birth Anniversary of former Prime Minister of India, Late Shri Atal Bihari Vajapyee.
It is located at-
17 km downstream of Dibrugarh and Dhemjai across the river Brahmaputra in Assam.
Distingishible Features of the Bogibeel Bridge
- Longest Combined Rail and Road Bridge in India
- Second Longest bridge over the Brahmaputra after Bhola-Sdiya Bridge.
- Its length is 4.95 kilo meters
- Longest Span of 125 mt (with 41 spans)
- It will carry both Motor vehicles(three road lane) and Railway (two rail tracks)
Facilities of this Bridge
- It will connect the town of Dibrugarh in the south to Dhemjai to the river’s north.
- Will act as an alternative to Klioa Bhomora Setu at Tezpur in providing Connectivity to nearly fivw miion people residing in Upper Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
- It will enhance India’s ability to transport troops and supplies to its border with Tibet in Arunachal Pradesh.
- The bridge will provide a connection between the Rangia-Murkongselek section of the North East Frontier Railway on the north bank of Brahmaputra and Lumding-Dibrugarh section that lies to the south of Brahmaputra.
The foundation of the bridge was laid down in January 1997 by the then Prime Minister, H.D. Deva Gowda but construction was inaugurated only in 2002 by Prime Minister A.B. Vajpayee.