By Odisha Story Bureau, New Delhi:
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday addressed the nation from the Red Fort on the occasion of the 70th Independence Day. The Prime Minister, before arriving at the Red Fort, paid a floral tribute to Mahatma Gandhi at Rajghat. Former Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan were amongst the many of VVIPs present at the venue.
PM Modi was received by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, Minister of State for Defence Subhash Ramrao Bhamre, Defence Secretary G. Mohan Kumar and Indian Army chief General Dalbir Singh Suhag at the Red Fort.
After unfurling the tricolour at the Red Fort, Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the nation on its 70th Independence Day.
Here are 20 highlights from his speech.
- I have tried to adopt the strategy of ‘Reform, Perform and Transform’; tried to avoid populism.
- The onus is on the 125 crore people of India to convert this ‘Swaraj’ into ‘Surajya’. From Parliament to panchayats, gram pradhans to the prime minister, everyone has to fulfill their responsibilites. Only then will the dream of surajya come true.
- Country will not yield to terrorism and extremism, youth should shun violence and return to mainstream.
- Pakistan has illegally occupied a part of Kashmir that will always belong to India. Delhi has also urged Islamabad to stop violating human rights in the region of Balochistan, which is seeking independence from Pakistan.
- People of Balochistan, Gilgit and PoK have thanked me a lot in past few days, I am grateful to them.
- In Peshawar, when innocent children were killed in a terrorist attack, India’s parliament was crying. The whole nation was shedding tears for those kids.
- It’s easy to keep account of the work done by the government, but it is difficult to have in-depth knowledge of those initiatives. Today, more than ‘Karya’, I want to talk about ‘Karya Sanskriti’ of the government.
- We have brought inflation rate below 6 per cent; I will continue to work to ensure food plate of poor is not affected by inflation.
- Violence does not have any place in our country. In the name of Maoism at the forest areas and in the name of terrorism at the borders, violence is being carried out.
- Our social unity is most important; division in the name of caste, creed hurts the country. Need to rise above all these issues.
- We all have to fight against social evils, have to support social justice. Great leaders like Mahatma Gandhi, Ambedkar ji have always stressed on the need for social unity.
- It is my dream to double the income of farmers by 2022.
- Air India that used to be criticized earlier has an operating profit. While every telecom company in the world flourished, BSNL used to run in losses. Today, BSNL too has an operating profit.
- In last 60 years, 14 crore were given gas connections, while my govt provided gas connections to over 4 crore people in just 60 weeks
- People are scared of income tax authorities, particularly middle class families. We have to change this situation, and I will change it.
- Earlier, getting a passport used to take months, today it takes just a couple of weeks. Transparency is very important to ‘Surajya.’
- There was a time when the government was surrounded by allegations, but now the government is surrounded by expectations.
- There are a lot of problems which our country faces but we also have 1.25 billion people to solve these problems.
- Whether it is Panchayat or Parliament, whether it if Gram Pradhan or Prime Minister, everyone will have to fulfil their responsibilities to achieve the goal of ‘Surajya’
- India is a thousands-year-old civilization. From Bhim of Mahabharat to Bhim Rao (Ambedkar), our journey has been long.